In the city of Chistopol, The St. Nicholas Cathedral is the main attraction and a dominant center.
It stands on the high bank of the Kama River, just above the river, and is considered one of the finest church buildings in Tatarstan from the first half of the 19th century. The leader of the project is Pavel Pyatnitskiy, an architect, who has forever glorified his name by erecting the main building of the Kazan Imperial University.
This complex consists of the church, a lodge, a chapel, a large arched gate and a metal fence. The building is a five-domed, cathedral centric church with three four-column, Ionic porticoes. On the eastern facade is an annex to the altar, while on the opposite side there is an adjacent bell tower. The facades are made in classical style. The complex is supplemented with a square chapel constructed in a pseudo-Russian style.
The three-altar, stone St. Nicholas Cathedral was built in 1838 at the expense of Polyakovs, who were merchants. There is a whole constellation of names, other than Paul Pyatnitskiy, related to the history of its construction: Foma Petondi, Michael Tyufilin, Vladimir Pomerantsev, and Vsevolod Poshekhonov. The cathedral was repeatedly closed during Soviet times. Boris Pasternak and Arseny Tarkovsky, who were evacuated to Chistopol during the war, admired the silhouette of the cathedral. As one of the first from the diocese, St. Nicholas Church of Chistopol was returned in 1990.
Bus: From the Central bus station in Kazan to Chistopol. The travel time varies between 2.5 and 3 hours.
Once inside the city, take bus number 1, 5, 6, 7, or 22 until the stop named Dom Uchitelya (Teacher's House) or take number 2 until the stop named Electroseti.