The Sviyazhsk Bogoroditse-Uspensky (Holy Dormition) Monastery has outstanding historical and architectural value in the Republic of Tatarstan and in Russia. The monument is located in the southwestern part of Sviyazhsk Island. There are many structures dating back to various times in the past, forming an interesting architectural ensemble.
The monastery contains some recognized masterpieces of Russian architecture from the 16th century. The Refectory Church of St. Nicholas was built between 1555-1556 by a group of Pskov masters lead by Ivan Shiryay. This church-bell tower is is 43 meters high and is quite rare. The Single-Dome Assumption Cathedral of the Most Holy Virgin, consecrated in 1560, is known for its unique, almost entirely preserved cycle of wall paintings, 1,080 square meters of colorful ancient frescoes, from the second half of the 16th century. The church also contains some of the most significant compositions in Russia. Near the altar is an image of the Czar Ivan IV, also known as Czar Ivan the Terrible, with boyars and voivodes, also known as warlords. This image was the only one made during the Czar's lifetime. The other image is of St. Christopher, which according to the apocryphal version, is the only preserved fresco depicting the saint with the head of a dog. There are also some preserved residential and utility buildings, including the Arhimandrite building from the 17th century, a fraternal building from the 18th century, and the monastic school buildings from the 18th century. One can enter the monastery through the Holy Gates of the Gate Church of the Ascension built in the 18th century. Today, the monastery is operational, but visitors need to make sure they follow the established rules of conduct.
The monastery was founded by Herman the Archimandrite in 1555 and has almost preserved its appearance from the 16th century. A white, stone wall has surrounded the monastery since the end of the 18th century, giving the monastery an appearance similar to the Kremlin.
Ferry: From the river port of Kazan, the journey takes about two hours.
Car: Take highway M7 towards Moscow and follow the signs leading toward Isacovo village until you reach a sign for Svijazhsk. The travel time is no longer than one hour.