The Märcani (Marjani) Mosque, the first stone mosque, has become the pride of the Staraya Tatarskaya Sloboda (Old Tatar suburb), and was built in Kazan after it was conquered by Ivan the Terrible. Between 1866-1870, Catherine II ordered this structure to be built at the expense of the parishioners.
The mosque was named in honor of Shigabutdin Bagautdinovich Marjani, who headed the Muslim parish from 1850 to 1889.
The mosque is a two-story building with an extension. In the halls of the second floor, the arches are covered with lush stucco and gilded ornaments of vegetative character, combining motifs of baroque décor and Tatar arts and crafts. Ornamental moldings on the walls are painted in blue, green, and gold. As for the minaret, its three tiers are practically devoid of decoration and belong to the period of eclecticism.
The former title of the mosque is Efendi (Master). It was named Yunusovskaya by the Yunusovs, who were a conglomerate of merchants and supported the mosque. In Soviet times, it was the only existing mosque in Kazan. The mosque and its territory were repeatedly restored and equipped with modern conveniences.
Bus: Take number 1, 5, 6, 10, 10a, 23, 30, 31, 35, 35a, 37, 47, 53, 54, 56, 63, 65, 72, 74, 74a, 85, 91, or 99 until the stop named Teatr Kamala (Theater named after Kamal).
Trolleybus: Take number 3, 5, 7, or 10 until the stop named Teatr Kamala (Theater named after Kamal).
Metro: the Ploshchad Tukaya (Tukai Square) station