Staraya Tatarskaya Sloboda (Old Tatar suburb) in Kazan contains a Muslim monument which has a 200-year history and entirely blue walls. This mosque is known as Blue or The Fourth Cathedral. Unfortunately, the name of the architect who developed this beautiful project, which has appeared in the area of Kolkhozny Market (Collective Farm Market), is unknown.
The mosque was built in the simple style of classicism. The color of its walls is not the only distinctive feature of this two-story building with a three-tiered octagonal minaret. On the southern façade, rather than a rectangular mihrab, a semi-circular mihrab was built, and the building has become T-shaped.
The mosque was built between 1815-1819 by Akhmed bin Ishaq bin Aitom (Zamanov), a merchant in Kazan. In 1864, Kazan's first guild merchant Gabdelmannan Bikkineyevich Mustakimov expanded the mosque in the southern direction and built a fence around it, designed by architect P. Romanov, by donating a part of his own land. The mosque was closed in 1932. The minaret was dismantled and the building was turned into communal apartments. The Blue Mosque was returned to the believers in 1993. However, it was completely restored to its original form only in 2009.
Bus: Take number 1, 6, 31, 53, 54, 71, or 99 until the stop named Tatarstan Street, or take number 10, 10a, 68, 74, 74a until the stop named Kolkhozny Market (Collective Farm Market)
Tram: Take number 2, 3, or 7 until the stop named Tatarstan Street, or take number 2 or 3 until the stop named Kolkhozny Market (Collective Farm Market)
Trolleybus: Take number 5 until the stop named Tatarstan Street.