Religion

Chabad-Lubavitch Synagogue

The house on Profsoyuznaya Street with a giant menorah right near the road is sure to attract your attention. It is not only a religious, but also a public centre for meetings of the Kazan Jewish community. Among those who work here are representatives of the Jewish Community in Russia, the Jewish "Hesed Moshe" Centre Charity, the "Afifon" Youth Jewish Centre, as well as the resident library workers.

Historical reference

In 1865-1875 the Kazan Jewish community used to operate out of a rented room on Bolshoy Prolomnaya Street (modern day Bauman Street). In 1903, an empty site was bought to use as a house of prayer, and on March 2, 1915, the synagogue held its official opening. In 1929, several religious churches were closed in the city, including the synagogue. Since then, the building has housed a house of Jewish culture, a house of pioneers, a people's theatre, and a house of enlightenment educators. The house of prayer was returned to the Jews only in 1996-1997, and in 2015, the synagogue was inaugurated after the building’s reconstruction.

Services

Parking

Routes

Popular among tourists

Find out the cost of tickets to Kazan