The three-altar, stone St. Nicholas Cathedral was built in 1838 at the expense of Polyakovs, who were merchants. There is a whole constellation of names, other than Paul Pyatnitskiy, related to the history of its construction: Foma Petondi, Michael Tyufilin, Vladimir Pomerantsev, and Vsevolod Poshekhonov. The cathedral was repeatedly closed during Soviet times. Boris Pasternak and Arseny Tarkovsky, who were evacuated to Chistopol during the war, admired the silhouette of the cathedral. As one of the first from the diocese, St. Nicholas Church of Chistopol was returned in 1990.