The Bornay Mosque (The Third Cathedral) has been described as romantic, similar to an orthodox church, and foreign at the same time. Designed by the architect P. Romanov, it took its rightful place in the historical part of Kazan entitled Staraya Tatarskaya Sloboda (Old Tatar suburb).
Among all housing premises, the Bornay Mosque stands out because of its national-romantic style. It is a one-story, brick building with a minaret above the entrance. Its construction resembles an orthodox church. Its façades are adorned with medieval elements of Tatar and Russian architecture. People consider the mosque foreign because the majority of its parishioners are citizens of other countries.
In 1872, the mosque was built and named after the first guild merchant of Kazan, Mukhametsadyk Kurbangaleevich Burnaev. In 1895, he also erected a brick minaret above the building, designed by F.P. Malinovsky and L.K. Khroshchonovich. Before the stone building was constructed there was a wooden parish on the site. The mosque was closed in the late 1930s and returned to believers only in 1994.
Bus: Take number 5, 23, 56, 68, 71, 72, or 99 until the stop named Ulitsa Saydasheva (S.Saydashev Street).