The application we offer shows the most interesting cafes and museums and also can provide up to 25% off

Discount for cafes and museums in Kazan

Download application

Bogoroditsky Monastery

The miraculous Our Lady of Kazan Icon is considered to be one of the most iconic icons, which also served as the patron of the Romanov empire and all of Russia. Now the Our Lady of Kazan Icon is in the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross of Kazan’s Bogoroditsky Monastery. In the church, daily services are held, and worshippers come from all over the world to bow to the shrine. The building itself is also an architectural monument. The two-story building with the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross of 1882-1887 and the Sofia Church, which was transferred to the Kazan Diocese in 1993 has survived until present day. The Nastoyatelsky and Nikolsky Corps are also located here. And, in the place of the previous parish church where the icon was originally located, the Church of St Nicholas of Tula was built in 1810-1816, which is currently undergoing restoration.

Historical reference

In the year of the fire that partly destroyed Kazan, a girl called Matrona found an icon buried one and a half metres underground in the place indicated to her by the Virgin Mary that visited her in a dream. In the same year, 1579, Ivan The Terrible ordered the founding of the Bogoroditsky Maiden Monastery. Matrona became its first nun, and then later the abbess. In 1767, Catherine II laid a diamond crown on the icon, sealing its fate. In 1904 the icon was stolen from the Cathedral of the Kazan Monastery by a thief named Chaikin. On July 21, 2005 His Holiness Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia gave the Kazan diocese the miraculous "Vatican" Kazan Icon of the Mother of God. Now, the gift of Pope John Paul I can be seen in the Holy Cross Church.


Popular among tourists

Find out the cost of tickets to Kazan
Discounts, bonuses and useful information
for visitors of Tatarstan
Download the Tourist Pass application for free