Religion

The Holy Assumption Monastery

The Holy Assumption Monastery stands on the Zilant "snake" mountain. Although it is located in the Kirov district, far from the bustle of the central streets, its golden domes are visible from almost anywhere. Here, you will find parts of relics of the Kiev Pechersk Lavra Saints, the Kazan Saints Guria and Herman, the Diveevsky Saints, the reverend Sergius of Radonezh and Seraphim of Sarov, martyr and healer Panteleimon, martyr Elizaveta Feodorovna, venerable confessor Sergius Srebriansky, St. Luke Voyno-Yasenetsky, and a particle of one of the Bethlehem infants.

Historical reference

This temple was founded by Ivan the Terrible marking the day of the capture of Kazan, on October 15, 1552, in honour of the eternal commemoration of the fallen soldiers. Initially, the monastery was on a hill, where now stands the Church of the Icon of Christ the Saviour. Due to the high waters, the hill regularly flooded with water, and in 1569 the monastery moved to Zilantowa mountain, named after Kazan’s symbol: the mythical winged dragon creature Zilant. In the 1920s the monastery was closed down, and opened again only in 1998. During the Soviet period, the monastery housed a children's colony, Ministry of Internal Affairs warehouses and communal apartments. Since 1998, it revived and continues to run as a nunnery.

Present on routes

Routes

Popular among tourists

Find out the cost of tickets to Kazan